Thursday, September 30, 2010

Individualism

I think one of the biggest aspects of American culture is individualism. After reading a few articles this week, individualism really stood out to me. We do not realize this with ourselves because it is what we are so used to, but people from other countries cleary see our individualistic society.


As Americans, we like to do things ourselves. If we don't, it feels like we are being treated like children or looked down upon. Like one if the articles said, in America when someone asks for directions, you just tell them where to go. The person wouldn't want you to walk all of the way with them. In other countries that may seem disrespectful, but not here.

I tend to be individualistic also. I never really thought anything of it until learning that it's a quality a lot of American's hold. I spend a lot of time in my room. When I get home from school, I do my homework in my room. With 3 younger children running around, it's the quietest place I could find. In other countries, there's usually 3 generations living in one house, there is most likely no way I would be able to sneak off to a room by myself.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is one of the main things that sets us apart from all other countries, though we do isolate ourselves, we really find out who we are and what we are capable of because of our individualism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your newer post and commented there, but it's funny because I see the connection here to that blog as well. One thing that some sociologists have found is that individualist societies (like ours) tend to experience more of a loss when someone dies because they see everyone as separate individuals. Whereas collective societies and tribal societies see individuals as part of something larger - their family - their tribe - their society. It's like Morrie's story about the little wave and the big wave, remember that? Sociology can help you see these dynamics and maybe live more peacefully.

    ReplyDelete