Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Bronx Tale

Last year in APUSH, we watched the movie A Bronx Tale after the AP test. When we watched it then, I didn't look at it sociologically. Now that I have, it completely changed the movie for me.
The movie has many examples of social construction of reality. One of the huge ones is racism. Since the movie takes place in the early 60s, racism is everywhere. Collogero himself doesn't really care for racism, but he knows it's out there and knows his friends will judge him if he dates a black girl. When the group of African American boys ride their bikes through Collogero's neighborhood, one of his friends starts a fight. Collogero tells him to leave them alone, but he says that they are bothering him. By not doing anything, the African American boys are bothering him. Obviously he didn't come up with this hate all on his own. While growing up he was taught to hate blacks for no good reason at all.
On the otherhand, Collogero has nothing against the African Americans which may seem out of place for his time period. However, since his dad is a bus driver, he told Collogero that he tries to teach everyone fairly. Since this is how Collogero was brought up, this is how he now acts towards other people.
Growing up, my parents have always taught me to understand people's differences. I try my hardest not to judge people without knowing them or their personal situations first. Since my parents have taught me this, I try to live up to it. If my parents were judgemental people and discriminated against certain people, it is very likely that I would act the same, since it is all I would be used to.

3 comments:

  1. i agree thats how we get shaped to be the people we become, through our parents. The ways our parents view things is most likely the way that we will behave in the future, they make up who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree our parents are a master status which shape our beliefs and how we act towards others

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have had Mazz :-) I'm so glad watching now changes the experience for you - you have a sociological imagination!

    ReplyDelete