Thursday, September 2, 2010

Spitting

In class the other day, when one of the students had to spit in a cup, I thought it was completely nasty! Then Salituro wants someone to drink her spit. Okay what?! Then we had to think, okay how is this different then a baseball player on the field spitting, or a couple kissing. It's really not that different, however, we have been taught to think this way by society.
Just like the reading "Survivors of the F227", to survive they had to eat other people who had died. In our society, we don't eat dead people, or any people actually. Since those people had lived their lives with these same beliefs, the transition to eating people was a difficult one.

When we're growing up, we learn things of what we should or should not do. Like we learned in class, spitting is kinda a gross thing to do. As little kids, we can't spit at our friends if we get mad, or we can't spit in certain places. I think our society lets guys get away with spitting a lot more then girls. If you go to a baseball game, spitting is everywhere! Players hock loggies left and right. I play softball and sometimes I spit. Some people are all "ewww what are you doing", while others understand and do the same thing. On the other hand, sometimes I will spit when I'm not playing softball, but if that happens I apologize to whoever I'm with. Why do I even feel the need to apologize when I'm not at softball? Since we have all been taught spitting is usually a repulsive thing. In my life, I would prefer not to go along with what everybosy else does (this doesn't mean I'm going to spit everywhere!), even though it's natural to do so because it's all I'm exposed to.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Shelby! I completely agree with you that as kids, we are taught to not do certain things, like spit. It's amazing to see how society almost "tells" us what's right or wrong. I was so grossed out when Sal asked one of my classmates to spit in a cup..and then drink it. I was like okay, is he serious?! It's because we just aren't used to seeing people spit and then put it back into their mouth. It's gross to us, and probably always will be because that's just how our society influences us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shelby.... i Think your right in that our society percieves spitting as a bad thing when in actuality spitting is just based on beliefe and perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHELB! I thought the spitting in class was gross too! I personally think it's gross for anyone to spit! There really is no reason for anyone to spit (unless you're at like.... the dentist's office! haha).

    ReplyDelete