Thursday, October 7, 2010

Tuesdays with Morrie- Death

I think death is close to a taboo topic. From childhood we are taught not to really talk about death. Yes, it's in movies and books and video games, but that's all not real, and people know that. When we do talk about though, we say things like "passed away" in place of saying somebody "died". It is one of our hardest subjects to talk about. Even in class, we didn't want to talk about death after watching the movie because it can get too depressing.
Just like Morrie described in the movie, some people don't even acknowledge death, they just pretend to move on. It seems easier to pretend you haven't lost anything instead of mourning. Take family pets for example. Pets don't die. Ever. Pets get sent to live on farms where there can run around and be free.
Obviously death is an uncomfortable subject so we as American's don't like to talk about it. How is it that other cultures can embrace death, while we don't even like for the idea to be brought up? It seems totally weird to us that death can be a celebration, but if we had been taught ideas like that our whole lives it would not seem weird.
Death is actually one of my biggest fears. I actually wish that our culture would have different views on death, so it would not seem as scary to people.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I totally agree that we have grown up to ignore the talk of death and almost deny that it's real. You might talk about someone dying but that's only for a little bit until someone eventually tells you to stop because it's too depressing. It's just what we've been grown up on; it's all we know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that people don't like talking about death because the way our culture has shaped us. I liked how you mentioned other cultures see it as a celebration, where we find it uncomfortable to talk or even think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's up to us (you) to not make it so taboo. One way that I look at it is that death is as much a part of life as birth. It just is. You are not afraid of birth, right?

    ReplyDelete